The Fraser River directly impacts and is impacted by our local food system. In collaboration with local eateries within the Fraser Rivershed, we are going to be sharing some delicious recipes made with local ingredients. All restaurants highlighted chose to actively pursue the use of local ingredients in their fare, and want to inspire you to do the same.
Buddha Bowl, paired with Monte Creek Ranch Riesling
Recipe supplied by Monte Creek Ranch Winery
Monte Creek, BC
At Monte Creek Ranch Winery, we strive to be better and better for the wildlife, environment and climate we all live in/with. Big and or small changes are happening yearly to continue to lead us in a sustainable, eco friendly and good for the environment company. In other terms, we strive to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs. The Winery itself has been open to the public for 5 years as of June 2020, with expansion plans to continue growth of the brand both locally and nationally. The Monte Creek Winery team welcomes wine lovers and farm fresh food fans to taste our wine, grass-fed beef, all natural honey, haskap berry jam and more. With an agricultural background, the family understands how important it is to have healthy permaculture (diversity in offering and land use) for successful and sustainable farming. We practice organic farming methods at every opportunity, an important decision that has everything to do with the livestock we raise and our proximity to the river.
- 50gr Black rice
- 1 each avocado diced
- 50gr of each pickle
- 50gr curried cauliflower
- 30gr edamame beans
- 5gr chopped green onions
- 20gr roasted cashew
- 100gr of slaw mix
- 80ml of sesame dressing
- Pinch of sesame seed
- 2 each thai basil leaves for garnish
Step 1: Black Rice
- 20 grams Black rice
- 30 mls of salt
- 2 liters of water
- Boil water with salt. Add black rice and boil till tender.
- Strain with fine mesh and let it cool before serving.
Step 2: Roasted Sesame Dressing
- 120 gr tahini paste
- 140 gr rice wine vinegar
- 70 gr grape seed oil
- 50 gr gluten free soy sauce
- 35 gr mirin
- 35 gr sesame oil
- 35 gr sugar
- 50 gr water
- Add all ingredient in a bar blender, blitz until emulsified.
Step 3: Curried Cauliflower
- 50 gr cauliflower fleurettes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 10 gr curry powder
- 10 gr vegetable oil
- Toss cauliflower with vegetable oil then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake cauliflower in a pre-heated oven at 375 degree F. bake till slightly golden colour and tender.
- Toss with curry powder and let it cool.
Step 4: Pickled Beets
- 200 gr beets (peeled and cut into small uniform sizes)
- 10 gr white miso paste
- 300 mls of rice wine vinegar
- 200 mls of white vinegar
- 40 gr of sugar
- In a small pot, simmer peeled beets until tender, strain and let it cool.
- In a separate pot, put the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for 10 on low heat.
- Put cooked beets into a clean, sterile jar, then pour in the liquid and let the beets pickle for at least a week.
Step 5: Pickled Fennel
- 200 gr fennel, cut into strips
- 300 mls of rice wine vinegar
- 200 mls orange juice
- 50 gr of sugar
- Put the above four ingredients into a pot and let it simmer for 10 mins on low heat. Pour all liquid, with the fennel, into a separate jar and let it pickle for at least a week.
Step 6: Spiced Cashews
- 100 gr cashews
- 5 spice blend
- In a pre-heated 350 degree F oven, roast cashew till slightly golden (around 5-7 minutes).
- Toss with 5 spice and let it cool.
To assemble the Buddha Bowl:
In a deep bowl add black rice in the bottom. Toss pickles, green onions, cauliflower, edamame beans, avocado and slaw mix with dressing. Build the salad on top of black rice then garnish with nuts, sesame seed and basil.